2015-02-03

W(w)S - "Wataru Seken wa Oni Darake" 2 of 2


Title: Warumono (warai) series (わるもの(笑)シリーズ)
  Volume 1 - Wataru Seken wa Oni Darake (渡る世間は鬼だらけ)
Released: October 22, 2011
Copyright: Frontier Works
Get the CD here:   animate or amazon (jp)



Cast and roles


H/XHelper karaoke place / Xtra Oni - Sakurai Takahiro (櫻井孝宏)
R/C1Aka Oni (Red Oni) / Child 1 - Fujiwara Keiji (藤原啓治)
BAo Oni  (Blue Oni) - Konishi Katsuyuki (小西克幸)
Y/C2Ki Oni (Yellow Oni) / Child 2 - Okiayu Ryoutarou (置鮎龍太郎)


Translator Comment~
Post two of two for the first CD of the "Warumono (warai) series" (which translates to: "Badguys (lol) series").

The CD consists of 8 tracks (9 if you include the cast comment track, which I have no intention of translating at the moment). This post will have the remaining 4, the first post had the previous 4.

In this series I left the word "oni" untranslated. For those who want a quick reminder, an oni is a Japanese type of ogre, usually depicted as a tall (and fairly ugly) creature with coloured skin(red, yellow, blue and green are common), horns, wearing a tiger skin loincloth and holding a club. They're generally considered to be malevolent.
I also left names untranslated, including the oni names, which are based on their appearance (so, we have "Aka Oni", meaning "Red Oni", "Ao Oni" meaning "Blue Oni" and "Ki Oni" meaning "Yellow Oni").
For other explanations, please see the notes at the bottom of this post.

Comments regarding the translation, the formatting and tips for improvement are very much welcome! Also, please feel free to comment when something is not clear.

~・~・~・~・~・~・~・~・~・~・~・~・~・~

Track Five   ・   Track Six   ・   Track Seven   ・   Track Eight   ・   Notes


~・~・~・~・~・~・~・~・~・~・~・~・~・~


5 - Karaoke - the third


B So, the part about the needle in the eye was correct.
Y Actually, -only- that part was correct.
[00.10] *knocking and door opening*
H Your honey toast.
B Whohoo! Over here!
Y When did you order honey-toast?
B Sorry... The first part of your story was not very romantic so I got a little bored... Don't worry, you won't have to pay for this.
R Here, eat.
Y *mumble through mouthfull*
R Good?
B Uhuh, Ki Oni is quite fond of sweet things.
R But it stings that in the end the lady was taken away by Issun Boushi.
B If I remember correctly, Ki Oni didn't set foot in society till about 1870...
Y Yeah, but... It's for the best she married Issun Boushi and not me. He is a hard worker and quite wise to the ways of the world. And I am sure that the young lady wouldn't marry him if she didn't already have a good impression of him, only because he protected her form an oni. They both liked eachother already, I'm sure of it.
R If you say so...
Y Yup. Also, it seems he had a stouted growth. Apparently he grew quite a lot after marriage.
R Can your joints still grow after thirty?
Y It's not really like that. It's just a miracle of nature.
H Then I'd want to grow some more as well. About two centimeters extra. Only two would be nice.
Y Excuse me but...
R What are you doing, blending into the conversation so naturally.
H Oh, excuse me. Please pay me no heed.
[01.30] *door opening and closing*
B In any case, why did you finally enter society, after being a hermit for so long?
Y Well, after the country opened to foreign trade again, foreigners entered the country. Those guys were tall and both hair and eye color differed, so I didn't stand out that much anymore.
B We haven't gotten the stink-eye anymore after that.
R The world has become a good place to live in.
Y In the past, if you didn't have some drastic situation where you ended up saving someone, it was quite hard to get along with humans, wasn't it? 
B I had it hard as well.
R As far as I remember, you've always been able to interact with humans fairly well...
B It hasn't always been so. It was quite a bother, really...
Y First time hearing that. Tell us your story, then.
B Hmm, when was it again...


6 - Ao Oni's story


X *sigh*
B Just when I was wondering where you've gone off to... What are you doing here?
X What is it, Ao Oni?
B What's the matter? It's more fun to drink together. Come on, enjoy yourself a bit more!
X Ah, I just am not that good with parties like these. It's just that for such a long time it was only you and me in the village, so what should I say... "Shy of other oni".
B You don't have to use "oni", you know. "Shy of other people" is just fine...
X I'm sorry for being like this, even after you invited me over.
B That's okay. 
X You're such a nice guy, you. You're quite sociable and know how to treat oni right.
B It's okay to say "people".
X How can I even make friends.
B Don't fret about that. If you drink together, you'll grow closer in no time.
X But, you know, if I have to grow closer, then I'd like to grow closer to humans, rather than oni.
B With humans? For real?
[01.09] *sudden cheers*
X What's going on?
B Oh, that is probably the old man.
X Old man?
B Just now, we were talking about him, as he was here yesterday as well. It seems a man with a huge bump on his cheek had wandered in and apparently he was a great dancer.
X Is that so? It's quite rare for a human to come all the way here.
B They took his bump so he would come again today, so maybe he came back to get it? Say, let's go watch them. It's quite some timing, with you being interested in humans and all.
X Ah, yeah, let's go.
[01.48] *clapping and dancing noise - slowly turning into sounds of surprise and disgust*
B Huh?
X He's not that good at dancing, is he? You can even say he is horrible.
B How strange... It's different from what I heard... And he still has a bump, even though the others took his yesterday... Hmm.. Right? Left? Which side was it again?
X This is just bad, really bad. Let's go, Ao Oni.
B Yeah... Let's.
[02.30] *footsteps*
B What a shame, really. Humans won't come closer because they fear us, so it was quite a rare sight to see that old man come to our banquet....
X It happens. Besides, I prefer children over old farts like him.
B Children?
X Yes! Human children! They're extremely cute, you know! From time to time I visit the village to watch the children play from the shadows.
B You sound like one of those suspicious people who'll lurk in public places. In a thousand years, you'd get reported for that.
X No, you're misunderstanding! It's just that I like children. I. LOVE. CHILDREN!
[03.12] *echo*
[03.14] *dog howling*
B Okay, when dawn breaks, I'll report you to the officials.
X No! No, not like that, not in a weird way. I just want to go kite flying or play with the spinning tops with them. I... I really cannot stand the stories I heard yesterday. If you're 'playing', then I'd like it to be closer.
B I didn't know you liked those childish types of playing around...
X Well, you won't play with me! When we're playing hide-n-seek, you'd go home alone and everything.
B It isn't anything adults should be doing in the first place! On top of that, it's not even that much fun when you're only with two.
X But to leave me sitting there for three days is too much!
B You should've realized when the sun went down...
X ANYWAY! It's more fun when you're with a huge group. If the human children would become my friends, every day would be so much fun!
B Frankly, I thought there was quite a mental age gap between the two of us, so I can sort of understand that things would be more fun for you if there were people of the same thinking capacity as you to do things with.
X That is quite the way to phrase it, but... You seem to understand.
B Oh well, I'll help you with this, so you can get along with the human children.
X Really?
B That way I'll also be more free... Ehm, I mean I'll be able to help me best friend!
X Thank you so much! You're really awesome!
B There is no need to keep saying those truthful things. Okay, so we should probably start this contact with an impactful meeting.
X Impactful, hmm... Like what?
B Hmm, let's see. Quite common is running around with toast in your mouth, then tripping and falling over in a way so you show your underwear. Then you try to cover yourself with a skirt while yelling 'what are you looking at, pervert!' After that, a transfer student will enter the classroom and you'll point and say 'Oh, you were that guy from this morning!'. That would be the perfect scenario.
X Uhmmnn....
B Is there something you're having trouble grasping?
X Hmm, from start to finish, really. What is TOO-SU-TO anyway?
B Something made from wheat flour and then toasted.
X I don't think you can get your hands on something like that here...
B WHAT?! Then this plan is out the window. Without the toast it will not work.
X I don't think it was that important an aspect, but if you say so, it probably is.
B If we cannot use this plan then... Hmm, then... It's a bit underhanded but... An insider, perhaps?
X Insider?
B Well... A fraud, if you will.
X What now 'a bit underhanded'. That's criminal!
B Don't think too much about it, keep things simple. I'll dress up as a woman and go have a secret (lover's) meeting with those kids. That is when you jump out of the bushes and yell 'don't you dare dome near my woman!' or something, so you can pick a fight with them!
X From the get-go that is just plain wrong! The village children will not have a lover's meeting with you as a cross-dresser!
B Why not?
X How self-confident are you?!
B I agree that I may be a bit too old for them, but...
X That's not the point! I'll repeat myself here: It is not THAT that's the problem. I don't want something hasty like that, but something more... I don't know. Something to deepen the bond a bit?
B In that case, we should start by taking away misunderstandings?
X Misunderstanding?
B People think oni eat humans, so that's why oni are feared. If you do not do away with that misconcept, you'll never be able to move closer to the humans.
X Now that you mention it... We don't eat humans, do we? Actually, rice is really tasty...
B So we'll have to make them understand you're a lovable natural airhead.
X Who are you calling an airhead?
B As for the plan...
X You're ignoring me?
B I'll pretend to attack the village children and you come save them. Having saved them from the evil oni, you'll be a hero. I'm sure the villagers will be very grateful to you and will take you in. Maybe you'll even be able to live with them!
X But if we do that, you'll be feared by everyone from the village! You cannot come near the village and we'll never meet again!
B Don't worry about me. As long as you can be happy, it's fine.
X Ao Oni, you are so...
B Don't cry just yet. If this plan works or fails also depends on how well you act your part.
X Aaah, yeah! Thank you! Thank you so much, Ao Oni.
[07.37] *break to the present*
R Ao oni, I never knew you were such a great guy.
Y To sacrifice yourself for your friend's happiness. That's quite something.
R You've moved me so much, please allow me to hold you.
B I'll pass. Besides, it's not like that.
Y What do you mean?
B Truthfully... For quite some time now I thought he was really annoying, so I figured this would be the perfect chance to hand him over to the villagers, get my own freedom and head out into the world.
Y You really are... exactly as I thought you were...
R But wait a minute... You never traveled the world, did you? Though we've met on a few occasions, but overall you've been living on the same mountain...
Y Oh, right. So what happened to the plan, then?
B Weeeelllllll...
[08.23] *clapping back into the story*
B Are there any bad children here?!
Child 1 Wah, what's with this oni, just barging his way into the village. What do ya want?!
Child 2 Yeah, whacha doing here?
Child 1 Don't think too lightly of us humans!
Child 2 Don't think we are weak just because we are kids! We've been raising tigers and bears here.
B Huh?
Child 1 Don't get all high and mighty just because you're a little taller than us.
Child 2 I'll make it so you can never walk again!
B Yo, wa--
Child 1 Hora!!
B Ouch, sto--

*fighting*
Child 2 Take this!
B What's with these guys? Ouch, I'm telling you, it hurts!
X Stop it, please just stop it! He is my best friend. Please just stop!
B You... Now everything is for naught...
X This is not the time for that. The plan is already way out of the door.
Child 2 Plan?
Child 1 Ugh, this is the guy who's always sneakingly spying on the village!
Child 2 He is! It's the guy who is grinning creepily while spying on the children on the time!
Child 1 It's the pervert!
Child 2 The pervert came!
X No, I'm just...
Child 1 What were you planning?! Spill it out. Depending on your answer, we won't go easy on you.
Child 2 Our parents came as well. Messing with strongest monster-parents is not a good idea. It's best for you if you spill the beans quickly.
B + X *fearful scream*


7 - Karaoke - the last


B After that, we got taken to a PTA meeting. There we explained everything and managed to convince them we meant no harm. But after that the two of us were called out to harvest the crops, to get water, to get some juice or whenever something needed to be done.
R You were being worked to the bone...
B Well, he was still happy with it, even when we weren't getting paid. In a way, we did manage to get closer to the villagers and he didn't have to part ways with me.
Y So all's well end's well?
B And it was actually quite fun to be spending time with humans. As the circumstances were, they weren't that bad, really.
R I see. Do you still meet those people?
B The villagers we met back then died soon after, but we kept in contact with their descendants till about the First Sino-Japanese war in the 1890s. Things started changing when the military police started roaming the town, so we went back to our mountain to hide and that was the end of it.
R That's a bit of a shame to hear...
Y Sorry to break of the flow of the story, but I was just thinking...
R What?
Y Being pummeled by children... How weak are you anyway?
B Erm... Well...
Y Momotarou was godlike, but these village children were just normal humans, weren't they?
B But they were raising bears and such! So they are about Kintarou's level...
Y But they were still normal humans.
R Hmmm...
B What about you then, Ki Oni? Just by having a needle pointed at you, you ran away without a fight! What's that then? How pathetic was that?
Y I have a fear of needles. This had nothing to do with strength.
B So you're saying you are strong, then?
R Aa...
Y I don't know because I never fought!
R AAAAaaa!
Y What?
B What's the matter?
R I just realized something.
B You did?
R Could it be that oni are... That oni are...
Y Spit it out.
R Incredibly weak.
B Eh?
R Extremely weak. Don't you think so?
Y No w--- Well, it is true I've never fought a decent battle.
B Same here. I'm not sure if I should call that one time a fight, but afterwards I haven't fought even once. But you, Aka Oni, you may have lost to Momotarou, but you defeated those pirates and got their treasures, right? You won from those pirates!
R That was... Exactly like Momotaou had said, the moment they realized an oni was attacking them, they jumped over the railing and swam away.
Y So, you didn't fight them?
R You know how people back in the days were about 150 centimeters tall, right? So when I only swung my arms a little, they fled in fear, and I just felt strong, but... If I really am?
[02.50] *sounds of realization sinking in*
Y Maybe we really are weak.
B We're being done in easily in Momoque as well.
R Games have nothing to do with this. Don't mix game and reality!
B You're saying that?!
[03.06] *door opens*
H Bringing your order Honey toast, Momoque special version, only available here in Akihabara branch.
R Who was it? Ordering another Honey toast... Isn't that ordering too much?
H I created the partnering dog with ice cream. The ears are chocolate flavor.
Y The doggy is so cute!
R So it was you! Make sure you don't get diabetic.
B Oh, excuse me!
H Yes, what can I do for you?
B Arm wrestle me.
R You...
Y Are you...
H I'm very sorry, I'm currently working so I am not allowed to join you in your activities...
B No, no, this won't take long. Just one go, is that okay?
H Understood. If it's only one match.
B Okay, then with the right hand. Okay.
H One, two...
[03.50] *sound of hitting table and breaking bones*
B Ugh. It hurts!!! My arm broke...
Y + R EEEEHH?!
H Oh my dear customer, don't exaggerate.
B Aaaah, it hurts so much...
H Could this be that common money scam technique where you place a claim for doctor costs?!
Y No! It isn't anything like that. He's merely joking.
R Y..Yeah, he's merely joking. Hey you, you're fine, right?
B Y-es. I...t does... not hurt.
H Aaah, don't startle me like that. That was just mean. I thought you were going to try and get money out of me.
R There's no way we'd do that. A.. Ha... Ahaha...
H Then it's fine. Ehm, this is the last chance to order, so if there is anything you'd like. Or would you prefer an extension to your time.
Y Ah, no thank you. We're leaving after I have finished this.
R You still intend to eat it...
H Then please bring the electronic tap with you to the reception downstairs when you're leaving. Please enjoy the remainder of your stay!
[04.49] *sound of door opening and closing*
B I'm not joking, it really broke...
Y So we're weaker than humans after all...
B I don't want to believe it... But there really is no other way to think of it...
R Hmpf... Ha ha... Hahahaha...
Y What are you laughing about?
B He's having a mental breakdown.
R Ao Oni may have been done in, but he was the weakest of us oni.
B There are only three of us, though.
R To be done in by a human, the pride of the oni has taken a blow.
B Now he said it...
Y Should we call that guy from just a moment ago and have him arm wrestle Aka Oni?
R No need. I am absolutely not going to fight a human! Not now, not ever. Why, you ask? If I do not fight, the strong me and the weak me will both exist in this world at the same time! The strong me will exist!!
Y Are you like Schrödinger's cat?!
B You're just fleeing from reality!
Y Aka Oni, you're merely deceiving yourself!
R Ki Oni, can you handle stooping even lower than you already have? If we are so much weaker, then our redeeming features are only our looks!
Y Guh...
R I want to keep the image of myself as feared by the humans.
B That's underhanded! So you're saying there is nothing left for me? That I'm useless?! You should fight as well!
R Huh? I can't hear you!
Y Are we that pitiable?
R Okay, we're going! Or I'm not going to make the boat home anymore!
B You said you would stay the night here in Tokyo!
R Ki Oni, when does your last bullet train go?
Y Oh, I'm traveling by bus, so the last one is around 2300.
R How young do you think you are?! Oh well, it's fine. Let's go.
B Just wait a minute, you two! Just now, that employee was Momotarou! That way, it makes sense I lost and I didn't lose from a human, so the strong me still exists!
R Huh, Monotarou? I would have recognized him, don't you think?
B No, I am sure he was Momotarou! I'm fine. A bit of anemic, but still stronger than humans!
R Fine, fine. I get it. Nobody forgot anything? You all have your cell phone?
Y But I still have that Honey Toast!
B It really was Momotarou!
R No it wasn't, idiot!
B Don't call me an idiot
Y My Honey Toast!
R Idiot!
B Don't call me an idiot
Y My Honey Toast...
B It really was Momotarou!


8 - Karaoke Staffroom


H G'day, thanks for your hard work. Ah, you are on break too? Today really is busy, no? I started from the afternoon and can now finally take a break. Aaah. Oh, can I sit here? Gajing. Ah, the Momoque Enjoy pack is a great success, isn't it? The guests are really lively and coming in drones. There really are too many rooms where no one is even singing as everyone is only gaming. Those guys on the second floor too. Ah, you've seen them? Second floor, the room in the back. I think they left already. Three REALLY good looking guys been playing the game the entire time. Ah, well, two were playing and one was talking about something? Anyway, all were incredibly tall and from their hair colour you'd take them to be foreigners. You know, the type that's just different from the rest? One was completely blond Looked like a prince or something. But he spoke fluent Japanese, hehehe. If he'd go out and talk to a girl on the street, he'd end up with one on every finger. Then again, if he was looking for chicks he wouldn't have come here. All three called each other by their nicknames, that was really something. And their legs, soooo long! I'm jealous. If I was only a little bigger. This used to be the normal height long ago, but nowadays everyone is so tall... Eh? How long is "long ago"? Ehm, well you see, ehm, ehm... Like, before the war-ish? Ehaha. Of course I'm joking. Oh well, you know what they say "Women will fall for good looking guys without money, authority or muscles". Eh, never heard of that? Ah.. eh... Well, I just arm-wrestled one of them by their request. He was so incredibly weak, just laughable. I admit, it was the one who looked a bit pale in the face, so maybe he was not feeling well? Then maybe that red headed guy... Eh? Wait a minute. Haven't I seen him somewhere before? Where was it? Quite some time ago.... Aaah, can't remember. He didn't seem that strong either. Hmmm... Eh? I'm good looking too? Oh you, what are you trying here? I'll fall for you, you know? Are there still shifts to fill? Well, you're right. I used to be called a pretty boy or something long ago. Heheh... Had my hair really long and in a ponytail. That was quite a common style back then. Before the genpuku ceremony, everyone had a forelock they would bind backwards. Ehm, the genpuku ceremony... was... eh... something we did in the rural villages as a coming of age ceremony like thing? It was done way earlier than age 20, though. Oh well, isn't this enough about that? Let's just keep it at a special look for that age, okay?  Anyway, there was a time I was called a pretty boy. Nowadays being this short and all, people just don't see it, do they? Ah, right. As thanks for you complimenting me, I'll make sure I'll be of use to you. You said a while ago that you had a dog, right? I can understand what animals are saying. Are there any problems with your pet I can help with? No, I'm serious! Not joking. For real! For the record, I'm not touched in the head either. Well, I have this special skill, so I thought of becoming a veterinarian but, you know how there is an exam for that? Yeah, that's kinda the bottleneck here. I couldn't pass so I had to go as a part timer from job to job and am now a freeter... Ah my parents passed away a milleniu- decade or so ago, so there is no one who I'm making worry about be. Savings? I don't have any. Long ago there were oni I hoisted, ehm... extorted money from? But in hundred ye-- a few decades that money was gone too. Yeah, I was quite wild and bad back in the days. Oh, not anymore. I'm quite serious about things now. This work too, it's so fun, the boss is nice, the pay is good enough and you and everyone else get along so well with me, so I'm enjoying every day! I'll work! I'm fine with supporting, so give me as many shifts as you can!
[4.48] *knock on door - door opening*
H Ah boss, thanks for your hard work!
[4.52] *door closes*
H Eh? It's busy again? Oh, no worries, I've had a long enough break. I may look frail, but I have quite some stamina. In fact, back in my days I fought of a hundred oni-- ehm street punks. Would you listen to my victory stories? Oh? You've hear them a million times already? Really? Ah but you, my dear, haven't heard them yet, right, right? Listen to me, please~ These punks were from the deep rurals and they were picking weird plants that were growing around the island and made it into something weird that they called their specialty and then sold it! That's pretty shady, no? And when they came to the city, they were plundering and...
[5.31] *ending of track sounds*



Notes:
T5 - Honey-toast -Honey Toast is something like a sweet treat made of a block of Japanese toast-bread (sweet white bread) cut in at the top and coated with honey and various sweets like ice cream, whipped cream, fruits or any other thing you may find in your dessert sweets - depending on what kind of toast you ordered.
T5 - 1870 - This year is sort of important as it was 1868 when Japan started 'modernizing' and implementing a lot of Western ideas (and fashion). Ki Oni looks like a foreigner, so what better time to enter society but when the country is slowly filling with foreign influences?
T6 - Man with a huge bump - While the Xtra Oni is made up, this part of the story is based on a famous child's story. In a village two men lived, both with a huge bump (wart or whatever) on their cheek; one had it on the right, the other had it on the left. One of the two was a very kind man who could also sing and dance and was loved by all. the other was a grouch, jealous of all and without real special skills. One night, the kind man got lost in the woods and stumbled on a group demons and oni dancing around a campfire. He joined in and because everyone was enjoying his dancing and singing, they took away the bump as a reward. When the good hearted man came back to town and told of his story, the grouch wanted his bump gone too and decided to go to the party that night. However, as he could not sing or dance, the oni got bored and punished him by placing the bump they took the previous night on the man's other cheek.
T7 - Sino-Japanese war- Fought from August 1894 till April 1895, a very important war for the Japanese as it showed their implementation of Western modernity gave them the overhand against a fellow Asian adversary (to which they previously looked up to), or so the historicist explanation goes.
T7 - Kintarou -Kintarou is another oni story where a young boy wants to become a samurai and is taught various skills by animals, to later on save a young lady from an oni.
T7 - Schrödinger's cat -The famous thought experiment of a cat in a box being both dead and alive at the same time. The real experiment is slightly different from how it is popularly explained. I won't go into details, but the gist is that it was thought up as a reaction to a previous quantum mechanic theory that stated that a quantum system such as a photon or an atom was in a superposition (multiple states) until it interacted with / was observed by the external world. So in the cat-in-the-box experiment, where a cat's life depended on if a radioactive atom had either decayed or emitted radiation, the cat would be just like the atom (in both states, so alive and dead) until it interacted with the external world.
T8 - Women will fall for good looking guys without money, authority or muscles - A saying I'm not sure most modern Japanese will get (which is the point). The Japanese phrase, "iro otoko kane to chikara wa nakarikeri", is classical Japanese and translates to something as "a good looking man is without money or strength".
T8 - Genpuku - Genpuku is a ceremony done in the olden days. It meant cutting off the forelock, which was a sign of boyhood, signifying the transgression into adulthood. Famous cases in literature are, for instance, in the Tale of Genji (set around the year 1000).
T8 - Freeter - A "free timer"- someone who works jobs without contract, mostly based on shifts and hourly wage.

No comments:

Post a Comment